Thyroidectomy is the removal of all or part of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is a butterfly shaped gland located at the front of the neck. It produces hormones that regulates metabolism.
Thyroidectomy may be recommended for a number of conditions:
- Cancer - Once thyroid cancer has been diagnosed from a biopsy, removing part or all of the thyroid gland will be the treatment of choice. Surrounding lymph nodes may need to be removed during the same operation depending on the size of the cancer. Occasionally radioactive iodine treatment is offered after surgery depending on the final pathology result
- Enlargement (Multinodular Goitre) - Removing part or the entire gland may be a treatment option if the enlarged gland causes difficulty in breathing and/or swallowing.
- Overactive thyroid ( Hyperthyroidism/Graves’ disease) - In these conditions, the thyroid gland produces too much hormones. It can be treated by medication, radioactive iodine or surgery. Often surgery is recommended if you have problems with antithyroid medication and/or unsuitable for radioactive iodine treatment.
Young humanity in Canada get more remedies per man than any other area. The diversity of remedies provided by online drugstores is distinctively a contributing matter to prescription remedy abuse epidemic. All discount medications save money, but some online pharmacies offer better deals than others. Medicaments like Deltasone usually is used to treat diseases such as skin diseases. Adrenocortical synthetic steroids, which are easily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Viagra is a cost efficient therapy for helping men to sustain an erection. What about order viagra online? Last ten years many families quest online for the exact phrase 'buying Generic Viagra Online' on the Internet. (Read more can you order viagra online). Erectile dysfunction can be a result of a psychological condition. Even when it has a physical cause, mental soundness condition can make the problem worse. Certain men take more medications later in living and some have sexual side effects that result in erectile dysfunction. Some of medicines fuel desire. Note that your doctor has prescribed Viagra or any other medicament because he has judged that the gain to you is greater than the risk of dangerous side effects. With trustworthy online service you get savings, that can also be redeemed trusted online pharmacy with a valid prescription for any medicine.
Thyroidectomy is generally a safe procedure that is performed under general anaesthesia and requires 1-2 days stay in the hospital. Like all surgery, it carries potential risks. These include:
- Airway problems due to bleeding - this may require return to operating theatre within 24hrs of surgery
- Temporary/ Permanent hoarse or weak voice due to nerve damage
- Damage to parathyroid glands resulting in a low calcium level
- Thickened scar on the neck
You will be able to eat and drink after surgery. Most patients will be able to go home the following day.
If part of the gland is removed, the remaining thyroid will be able to produce enough hormones and therefore usually no hormone replacement is required. If the entire gland is removed, thyroid hormone medication will be prescribed to you.