Dr. Simon Chew
Dr Simon Chew obtained his MBBS (Honours Class 1) in 1992 from the University of NSW and gained the Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2001. He was then selected by The Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ) into the colorectal training programme for 2 years (2001-2002). Dr Chew has been a Clinical Lecturer and Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of NSW and the University of Sydney respectively.
He has been a practising Colorectal Surgeon for over 12 years and currently operates at Norwest Private Hospital, Westmead Private Hospital, Nepean Private Hospital and Strathfield Private Hospital.
Dr Chew designed his own hand-assisted laparoscopic colectomy techniques in 2004. He has been invited to teach the techniques at interstate educational workshops for Colorectal Surgeons held in Melbourne and Perth. He has also been an invited speaker at various conferences on this topic.
Dr Chew has also developed an operation to treat complex anal fistula known as Anal Sphincter Advancement Flap. This was published in an American peer-reviewed journal (Diseases of Colon and Rectum) in 2007. More recently, he has been performing robotic rectal surgery at Westmead Private Hospital for rectal cancer and rectal prolapse.
Dr Chew has published 21 peer-reviewed journal articles and 2 book chapters. He is also fluent in English, Cantonese, Mandarin & Hokkien.
Dr Chew is the principal associate of Cutting Edge Surgical Associates and the founder of Hills Colorectal Surgery.
|MBBS (Hons 1) University of NSW, Sydney||1992|
|Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy Certification with the Gastroenterological Society of Australia||1998-1999|
|Fellowship of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons||2001|
|Member of Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand||2002|
|Endorectal Ultrasound Certification by the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons||2004|
|General Surgical Registrar||1996-2000|
|Colorectal Fellow at Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney||2001|
|Colorectal Fellow at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide||2002|
|Visiting Medical Officer in Colorectal Surgery/ General Surgery
(Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney Hospital, Royal Hospital for Women)
|Conjoint Lecturer of University of NSW||2001-2003|
|Staff Specialist in Colorectal Surgery/ General Surgery
|Clinical Senior Lecturer of University of Sydney||2004-2007|
|Visiting Medical Officer
(Norwest Private, Westmead Private, Nepean Private and Strathfield Private Hospital)
- Tutor in surgery for medical students, residents and registrars
- Surgical Mentor for surgical trainees and colorectal fellows
- Education of General Practitioners on “Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery”, “Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery” and “Pelvic Floor Problems – faecal incontinence and obstructed defaecation”
- Assisted in demonstrating laparoscopic colorectal surgery to surgeons in China: Operating at Shenzhen 2004
- Assisted in Video conferencing from Adelaide with two cities in China (Beijing, Chongqing) 2005
- Taught Australian surgeons in hand-assisted laparoscopic colorectal surgery:
- Sydney 2004-2005
- Melbourne 2006-2009
- Perth 2006
- Taught overseas surgeons in hand-assisted laparoscopic colorectal surgery:
- Singaporean & Malaysian surgeons 2006
- Visit from South African surgeons 2007
- National University of Singapore 2008